Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Back to School


School days, school days…

Summer break is finally over, much to the chagrin of kidlets all over the country. I know mine is on the bummed side. Myself, I am rejoicing the return of school day routine. I would enjoy the summer more if I could spend it goofing off with my son. You know…taking trips to the lake, hanging at the pool, catching matinee movies, lunch in the park, and snow cone runs. Stuff like that. Oh to be a summer SAHM...sigh.

And in keeping with what has been a long-time new school year ‘tradition’, my darling son is sick. Yes, week 2 of school and he’s already caught some icky little bug. My son has done this every school year for a long time…within the first 3 weeks of school, he will, without fail, get sick. Not a little ‘achoo,’ sniffley/stuffy nose kind of cold. Oh no. We’re talking full-on fever, sore throat, cough and plugged up head kind of sick. Breathing germy air into the atmosphere. Thus sharing the love with the rest of the household. Misery loves company, right? I’d better stock up on the OJ and Zicam now….sigh.

Fall is certainly on its way. I can feel it in the morning air now. The fair back home is about to start. The corn is on, as are the ‘maters and squash. I find myself feeling the urge to bake mounds of breads, cookies and cakes, to cook large pots of chili and stew. I adore fall weather. I wish it could be September until 2 days before Christmas…then it can snow so we can have a ‘white Christmas’, then melt again 2 days after New Years. That would suit me down to the ground. One of the things I enjoy most during the fall is sitting on the back porch on a weekend morning, bundled up in an oversized sweatshirt, in my pajama pants and my Uggs to keep the tootsies toasty, with a hot cuppa joe, watching the sun rise over the mountains, listening to the coyotes howl. The cool canyon wind is sweet with the scent of pine…it’s just me, my coffe, and…whatever neighbor happens to be looking out their back window. Sigh.

Have a good one y'all!

No comments: