Friday, June 5, 2009

Cards for Daniel


At work, I tune in to Dr Laura in the afternoons. Mostly because it’s the only station I can get on my poor little radio…too much interference to pick up anything else, really. I listen off and on while she’s on, but I mostly have the radio on for background noise. I can’t stand the quiet in the office when it’s not on….drives me nuts. Anyway, I was listening Wednesday afternoon when Dr Laura started the hour with the story of a young serviceman who has been severely wounded in the line of duty and the request his parents have made to help brighten the day of this brave soldier. I think this is a very worthy endeavor and wanted to post it to spread the word. This is what Dr Laura related on her show:

"Sgt. Daniel Thornhill was seriously injured in Afghanistan two years ago by a suicide bomber. This soldier has lost both legs, is paralyzed from the waist down and has suffered severed burns over his arms, hands and body. He has been rehabbing at the Fisher House in Fort Sam Houston, Texas. (WOAI.com article: Veteran loses limbs in battle, but not hope)

His parents have reached out for support -- not financially, but they are asking for as many service members, veterans, and others as possible to please send him a birthday card. His birthday is this coming week and it would be nice if a lot of us send him a note to show him how much we love him for what he has sacrificed for his country.

And if you're in the in the San Antonio area, stop by and visit not only this troop but others who may be in the same situation and Sgt. Thornhill and his family.

Please brighten the day of a hero."

Mailing address:
Sgt. Daniel Thornhill
Fort Sam Houston Fisher House
3623 George C. Beach Rd
Fort Sam Houston, Texas 78234

2 comments:

Nikki and Kade said...

Just a little radio sidenote: If you're in the mood for music go to pandora.com and you can customize a radio station for yourself and only play music you really want to hear. I love it :)

Wildflower said...

Oh but if I only could...the "fun police" have banned anything that even smells like that kind of thing. That would be handy at home when I'm puttering on the computer, though. I'll check it out :0D