Friday, March 13, 2009

Angel Canyon



At last…my favorite day of the work week has arrived!!!! Friday! The Cure made a song about Friday (those of you 80’s children will probably remember it) which pops to mind occasionally on a good workday Friday….”oh Thursday I don’t care about you, it’s Friday – I’m in love.” Fridays are normally pretty laid-back here at work; contractors who visit on Fridays tend to bring goodies with them…cookies, bagels, doughnuts…all that good junk food that makes my butt grow by just thinking about it. The best is when Spencer Brown makes up a big batch of salsa and shares a gallon or so with us…sooo dang good! He could seriously bottle it to sell in the stores…yum yum yummy stuff. Unfortunately, this particular Friday, the big honchos from corporate have arrived as well. Guess I won’t be seeing much of my boss today. He’ll be attending meetings all day. And when they boys from corporate have a meeting, they have a freakin’ meeting, ya’ll….we’re talking 6 hour meetings. All day meetings. All day Saturday meetings. I don’t know much about how they do things in Brazil, but here in my little neck of the woods, we don’t do marathon meetings. Anything longer than 2 hours is ridiculous.

So I am in a mad frenzy of trying to get all my ducks in a row for my week-long adventure in southern Utah. My DF Laura and her girls began their drive from St Louis today and I will leave early Sunday morning to meet them in Kanab. Yes, I said Kanab. No, we’re not going to St George, Vegas, or Phoenix…when I have referred to my “trip south” previously, this is my destination. We are all volunteering at the Angel Canyon animal sanctuary for a week. This place is incredible…acres and acres of land with one purpose – save animals. They are a non-kill animal shelter. They take in abused, neglected, and abandoned animals of just about every size and shape – cats, dogs, ferrets, horses, burros, pot-bellied pigs, hawks, parrots, llamas…you name it, they save it. They work to rehabilitate the animals so they can be adopted into loving homes; if the animal can not be rehabbed, they simply live at the sanctuary until they pass away. The folks at Angel Canyon are the people who took in the pitbulls from Michael Vick’s estate when he was busted for running dog fights at his house. Happily, 2 or 3 of these dogs have be rehabbed and adopted :0) Animal Planet channel film a series here at Angel Canyon about the dog section called “Dogtown”. So Laura, Kaylin, Ashley and I are spending a week working with various critters – I chose to work a couple days with the dogs, a couple days with the horses and a day with the wild outdoor birds. I am just elated and grateful to have this awesome opportunity. I’ve been to Kanab once before…there is an area just before you get to the town that is very desert like….lots of dunes, sages and juniper trees…but the sand is the most gorgeous pumpkin color! It’s really pretty. We are going to take one day off to go “sight-seeing”…hope to go to Zion NP or down to the Grand Canyon :0) I will take as many pictures as I can and I hope to be able to throw some up on the blog throughout the week.

Need to give a big big BIG “atta girl!!!” to my DF and Crash Crew buddy, Darla, who is just a few pounds away from reaching her weight loss goal. Darla Lou, you are an inspiration and I am so very proud of you!!!!! :0D

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!!!!

No comments: