Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Driving Gap

Like most people, I try to keep the “3 second gap” between my car and the car in front of me (my Driver’s Ed teacher would be proud). Especially when the roads are slick or the weather is bad. Other people, however, seem to take this as a sign for them to come on over into the aforementioned space. It obviously does not bother these folks that they are now so close to the vehicle in front of them that if the guy in front sneezes, it’s taking all 3 of us out. Call me crazy but I kind of like my car “as is”…I want to keep it out of the body shop. Not that my body shop doesn’t do awesome work; it’s just that the secretary knows me as soon as I walk in. In my defense, neither of the 2 prior wrecks were my fault. No, really…I was hit by an old guy who blew a stop sign (he wasn’t going very fast, thank goodness!) and the other dude evidentally took offense at being beeped at when he nearly sat thru a green light and backed up onto the hood of my car. But I digress. Last night as I came into town for a few groceries I was “gapping” as the roads were looking a little on the slick side, and it was lightly snowing. Of course, traffic was heavy as it was a) rush hour, and 2) Christmas. I had other drivers move over in front of me several times. I consider this a violation of my territorial bubble for which you should be flogged, and just a completely asinine thing to do besides. You wanna wreck yourself, be my guest…knock yourself out (no pun intended); just do it when there aren’t throngs of people on the road that can end up on the back of a tow truck with you.

In the news this morning I heard that Drew Peterson is engaged to be married to wife #5. You all remember Drew Peterson…..he’s the cop in Illinois whose fourth wife disappeared and his third wife was found dead in the bathtub (originally an accidental drowning but was changed to a murder after the body was re-examined when wife 5 turned up missing). I find this little snippet of news very disturbing and sick. What kind of silly twit would think about even dating – let alone marrying - this slime?! How could you look at this guy and not just want to spit in his face?! In all probability he murdered 2 of his 4 wives!!! Future Mrs Peterson #5 is reportedly 23 (same age as wife #4) and lives just a short distance away from the Peterson home. This whole situation just makes me sick. I hear that Lacey Peterson’s husband and the Menendez brothers also have women wanting to marry them….disgusting….what is wrong with people these days? Yeesh.

Okay…I’m done with the negativity, on with the cheery. Loving the snow on the ground. I feels so much more like Christmas time with all of it. I honestly don’t know if I could spend Christmas as an adult in a warm climate (sorry, Hawaii but I would have to leave you for snowy weather for a month or so). It would just be wrong on so many levels!! Christmas is getting so close and I’m feeling a little giddy. Can’t wait to spend some festive holiday time with the fam. Looking forward to spending Christmas eve watching movies and playing games with my DH and darling son, to spending Christmas day with my awesome FIL, then spending Christmas night with my MIL. Too cool :0) Got cookies to bake over the weekend…I’m sure Chris will volunteer to be my official “taster” to ensure me that they pass muster before giving out…such a good son ;0)

Enjoy your day!!!

No comments: