Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Larry Bird and Tessa


Before I get to my story, I'd like to explain why I missed my Daybook entry again yesterday. Intentions were there to post it at some point during the day, but unfortunate circumstances arose that left me feeling less than up to writing. A member of my “work family” suffered an unimaginable loss; word came to him in a phone call from his wife just after lunch that their son in law had been killed while serving in Iraq. Upon hearing this news, my heart just broke in a million pieces for my colleague and his family. With heavy heart I finished my day at work, but thoughts of my friend’s loss weighed upon me the rest of the day. I did hear the story surrounding the death this morning: this young man’s unit was on a mission to clear out a suspected terrorist hideout. He was first through the door of the house. The terrorists came out of a trap door (“spider hole”) in the floor with guns blazing. He was hit numerous times but was able to kill 3 or 4 of them before he died. Sadly, 3 of his fellow soldiers lost their lives in the attack as well. It could have been many many more if not for his actions. I hope that the knowledge that this soldier died heroically in the line of duty will give some small measure of comfort to the family. My thoughts are definitely with them.

Have I mentioned that I know Larry Bird?? Yep….he used to be a bouncer at the bar I worked in during my wild days. Goes by the name of Guy these days. He’s incognito, you know. Larry doesn’t like the spotlight, can’t stand being mobbed by autograph hounds, so he lives in Idaho as an average Joe, relishing his anonymity. He stopped by to see my BF over the weekend, which is a treat since he doesn’t drop in and chat too often. My youngest niece,Tessa (what a cutie patootie) was awestruck at how tall he is. (I had a moment like that when I was around 6 or 7 when my family saw Wilt Chamberlain at the Honolulu Zoo….holy cow was he TALL!!) Our Larry’s 6’6”. Or, as he told Tessa, “5 foot 20 inches”. I got the above picture from Aun yesterday and it just cracks me up…. looks like 2 Tessa’s = one Guy!! LOL. I’m sure I will hear all about the visit from Tess this weekend when I see her. Can’t wait for all the details ;0)

Enjoy your day!

No comments: