Thursday, April 17, 2008

Stop kicking myself


My poor son was up late into the night Wednesday with a bad sinus headache; he finally was able to drift off which probably helps more than anything. Spring allergies have reared their ugly head for not only my kidlet, by my husband as well. Looks like it’s time to load up on the Claritin!
I have decided to try to be kinder to my body, to take a different approach to keeping thin and in shape – no more diet pills, no more severe calorie restriction, no beating myself up for everything I put in my mouth. I am trying to reset my metabolism – which slows down when you starve yourself, goes into conservation mode - so it will not store every morsel of food in my thighs and butt….and that is exactly where it is going! It’s sooo tough! I am completely freaking out because I am gaining weight, feeling like I have “eaten” myself out of my thin pant size and back into my “fat pants”. And it isn’t like I am pigging out, I eat when I’m hungry and stop when I’m full, not eating junk food; I exercise daily – 2 or more miles on the treadmill, which is all I can fit in between work, school, my son’s swim team practices and household duties. Right now the mentality of having to starve and watch calories and exercising off every single bite I take is overpowering….I’m really struggling to be okay with eating “normally”. A couple years ago I was in great shape, eating a 1000 to 1200 calorie a day diet, lots of veggies and protein, walking/jogging/running at least 3 miles daily and pretty much eating what I wanted, just not to excess. I didn’t have any hang-ups about food and was lots happier with my body. I hope I can find my way back to that place, be healthy, fit and have peace of mind once more.

1 comment:

crazydarla said...

You can totally do it and yes, if it means putting on a few lbs to level out your metabolism then it is worth it.
You must be reading Dr Oz or Bob Greene too? They both say word for word what you have here... the key is just doing healthy things. Why is that so hard for all of us??
When you come visit again sometime we'll have to go for a jog!! egh?

Darla