Tuesday, April 8, 2008

When did I get this old?


I caught a commercial the other night for a new “reality” program that shows people who are turning 40 and going all-out for the event…. kind of like MTV’s “My Super Sweet 16” for middle-age people. It made me think about what I would do for my 40th. After all, I am 37 this year…and certainly feeing OLD – my youngest will be a Freshman in high school this fall, my middle child is graduating next month, and my oldest just turned me into a mother-in-law. I don’t even want to talk about the grey hairs. So what would I do for my big 4-0? Less time would be spent telling you what I don’t want to do. I want to do it all - everything I have not been able to do yet…skydiving, surfing, trips to Italy, Ireland, Cabo San Lucas, England, Alaska, Barbados, buy a Harley…drive balls-to the-wall in a Ferrarri on the Autobahn. Of course, I’d need to be independently wealthy to accomplish all this, but you get the idea. I will settle for traveling to the nearest beach to view the beauty of the ocean I so dearly miss, and maybe take a tour up the California coast thru wine country with a couple girlfriends. When we were younger, 40 seemed ancient; now that I’m almost there, it’s not that old at all. As daunting as hitting that number 40 is, I want to do my best to embrace it, revel in the fact that I’ve made it this far.

No comments: