Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Autumn Treat


Each fall it happens. The undeniable urge to have them. I want…I need…I yearn…for apples. Ambrosia. Pacific Rose. Honeycrisp. Pink Lady. Granny Smith. Braeburn. This is my favorite time of year for eating apples. Fall brings a whole new crop of bodaciously yummy apple varieties. True, Granny Smiths are available year round, but October is harvest time…right now my local grocery store is carrying Grannys that are softball sized globes of delicious green tartness…I picked up a bunch last night, along with some of my other all-time favorite autumn apple, Honeycrisp. Oh, the juicy sweetness of those little suckers is well worth the months of waiting for them to return to the produce section. So good. I enjoy eating the Grannys for breakfast or as a snack with some peanut butter…the Pink Ladys are great sliced up with some sharp cheddar and some crackers; throw some cored Braeburns in the oven stuffed with raisens, chopped walnuts and a little cinnamon to bake for a warm treat. If you have never tried some of the varieties I’ve mentioned, please look for them at your store and purchase a couple to taste. You won’t be disappointed, I promise.

No comments: