Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Big Poke



Boy, they sure don’t waste time in phlebotomy lab. Last night was our second night of phlebotomy class. You’d think that a couple weeks in you would begin to actually stick people (each other!) and draw blood samples, wouldn’t you. Oh heck no! Let’s just jump on in there on night 2…break out the tourniquets and draw tubes, we can party on down! Do the words “nerve” and “wracking” mean anything to you?? Wow….I think that will be the worst lab, as far as everyone being nervous, because it was the first time. Should be easy-cheesey from now on. Right? I did it though!!! I drew twice, didn’t miss the vein either time. The first stick was soooo tough!!! Here you are, standing with your gloves on and needle in hand looking at the other person’s arm and thinking all kinds of things – I don’t want to hurt this person, what if I miss the vein, I have to really stick this needle in someone’s arm! Ect, ect – and you know you HAVE to stick them…sooo you kind of take a deep breath and just do it. Poke. Bleed bleed bleed. Release tourniquet, remove tube, grab the gauze, needle out of arm, gauze on….and I DID IT! What a rush of…relief…that it’s done…..of…adrenelin…because I did it. And did it……right :O) We will also learn to do the finger sticks….ick…..I hate those. They hurt. More.

No comments: